Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Reflections

I've decided to jot down all the things that have been going through my head since the race. I was disappointed with the run but all the nice messages that I have been getting from everyone on here, facebook and twitter (LemonRuns) has really lifted my spirits and made me look at the brighter side of things.


Cons:

I ran a lot slower than I had hoped
I wasn't tough enough mentally
Struggled when it got windy
I really wanted to make a statement to prove what kind of athlete I am

Pros:

Great experience
Knowing that I can run 2.13 on my own
My legs not being trashed afterwards showing that I can run a lot faster
Fantastic support from everyone (even people that I don't know)
I tend to run better after a failure so I am very determined to run fast later in the year


I am taking a couple of days off and then starting a recovery cycle of running for 20 mins one day, day off the next. Greg is big on making sure that we don't overdo it after a marathon as there is still a lot of micro trauma in the legs that needs to heal before going on to do any races or hard workouts. It is now 2 days after the race and my legs feel fine. My left IT band is a little tight but it just feels like I have done a hard speed session. Given this fact, I think we can shorten my recovery phase and I can start concentrating on whatever races we choose to run. I now think (after talking to my agents and Greg) that Barcelona might be out of the books as they don't want me to destroy my body in the blazing heat of the Spanish sun. Jos Hermans and I had a good talk about future plans and he said that he had seen so many athletes ruin themselves in hot weather marathons and haven't been able to get back from it. With my big goals being in 2012 and 2014 I really have to think about this. I think it may be a good decision to hit some fast road races and really get my half marathon time down to something decent so when I want to go through half way in a marathon in 64 mins, it will hopefully feel easy.

Greg is happy with the result as it was far from a perfect day. He told me that with better pacemakers and being in an actual racing environment instead of solo running that I will easily run faster. He has got my head back in the place where it should be and I have now stopped feeling sorry for myself and being annoyed about the race.

I can't tell you how great the Marathon team did in making sure that everything was perfect for us on the lead up to the race. The workers did everything and beyond to make sure we suffered no stress and could concentrate on the task at hand rather than worrying about little things that they could take of for us.

It was so uplifting to get back to my room and see how many messages of congratulations and well wishes that I had from everyone. I hope that I can inspire people to run and train hard and also to enjoy the sport. The main reason I run is because I love it so much and that feeling I get when I cross the finish line knowing that I have run well. Its something that gets me through the hard days because I know without those seemingly never ending painful days, there are no easy days when running comes effortlessly. I get inspired by those of you who are out there for the love of the sport and getting around the course and enjoying yourselves. It is so much harder for those runners who are out there for 4-5 hours as that is how long they are on their feet for. I am only on mine for a couple of hours so my job is easier than theirs. The pain and suffering they go through, battling against injuries and cramping, is so amazing and I applaud those people. Without them, events like the London marathon wouldn't be what it is.

I am looking forward to having a little time off and having a few drinks here and there. Our friends are throwing a party/BBQ this weekend at one of the local parks in honour of Jill who finished the Big Sur marathon in 4.54 only 2 weeks after her final round of chemotherapy. We are so proud of her and simply amazed by how well she has coped with everything she has been going through. We are all looking forward to those celebrations and just enjoying ourselves with great company and great beer! I found a mini keg of Warsteiner beer when I was in Phoenix a few weeks ago so i'm looking forward to tucking into that.

I hope all of you out there who were running had a fantastic day and if you weren't, were at least able to get some inspiration from the 37,000 runners who were able to get round the 26.2 miles.

9 comments:

  1. Lemon,

    You may have already said this somewhere, but what Mazunos do you train and race in? What is your favorite model and what do run the majority of your miles in?

    Thanks,
    Henry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I train mostly in the Wave Riders. The can handle many miles in them without compressing much. They have great cushioning and the grip is good enough to be used on the trails. I raced the marathon in the Spacer AR. I believe the Spacer line of shoes are only available in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew, Chuffed to bits for you. Must have been hard to run on your own. I am an ultra runner so I can appreciate the lonliness. A friend of mine who was second overall and first vet in the Highland Fling seemed to suffer mentally fro being in front of a faster runner and the fact that he was behind him preyed on his mind for many miles. Might be worth talking to your sports psychologist about this for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lemon,

    This is a great reflection! Congratulations on the great job in London. I look forward to reading how your recovery goes and what's in the future for you. Not running in Barcelona is a wise decision. You will fly in your fall marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blogging Andrew. Extremely interesting. All the best for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting blog. Well done in London and lots of luck for the next one :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Andrew,
    All the Scottish runners I've spoken to (and especially the U13s at Giffnock North AAC) are hugely proud of your efforts. It was clear from the TV shots that the pacemaker was struggling and to run half the race on your lonesome was a tremendous effort.

    Looking forward to keeping up with your undoubted continuing progress towards 2012 and 2014.

    (But could you not have picked up some cans of Belhaven Best when you were home rather than drinking Warsteiner?!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Andrew
    I was so delighted when I crossed the line in London and saw that you were first GB home and in 8th place!! I missed a PB by 11 seconds but am still well pleased with my performance. Good luck for your next ventures - it's great to have such excellent talent hitting the marathon scene again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to see your post race thoughts. To go 2.13 and know you can go faster is a fantastic place to be right now. You're going to be 2.0x very soon and who knows where by the time Glasgow comes round. Very exciting stuff and so good to see a UK/Scottish runner at the sharp end of a race. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete