Wednesday, April 21, 2010

4/20/10

Tuesday’s Training – Am: 52 mins easy Pm: 27 mins easy

Mileage – 11 Miles

Julie sent me some pictures of how the house is coming along

I woke up automatically at 6.20am this morning, which I was happy about as I thought it would be hard to start waking up at that time during this trip. I will be waking up around 5.45am on race morning so this was perfect. I went out for my run at 7.30am and headed over to the golf courses so I could run my second favourite route in the world (First is the Mesa Trail in Boulder). The run takes you out along a trail following the famous Old Course and it spits you out at the end of the beach where the opening scene of Chariots of Fire was filmed. This morning was incredibly windy and I almost came to a stand still at one point when I hit an exposed fairway. I had a good time watching some guys trying to tee off as their balls kept falling off the tee’s and then once they had hit the ball it would shoot up into the air (carried by the wind) and then hit the ground about 50 meters away and start rolling backwards. I would have laughed but I was having just as much trouble trying to stay vertical. I can’t believe I’m saying this but it was windier than Flagstaff! Luckily, once I got to the beach I was running with the wind and it was plain sailing from there. The sand was hard but the loose sand was being blown across into the sea so it created a very cool misty effect. With the sun still rising into the sky, the town looked beautiful. This is the reason I love this run so much – When you get to the beach you are just looking at the town the whole way in and with so many ancient buildings on the skyline, it can take your breath away. I was just running very easily so I got back to the house and woke up my legs a bit with some drills and some hard strides. I then headed into the house and got some good stretching in before having some breakfast and heading into town to get some chores done.

Once I got back I just lay in front of the TV for a few hours with my feet up until my mum arrived. We caught up for a wee bit and then I headed out for a short jog again. This time I went over to the university playing fields, which I also love running on. It takes about 10 minutes to get around the perimeter of the fields and its nice and soft as they keep very good care of the fields. There is also a 4-lane track there but it is easy to miss as it is green and blends right into the grass. I felt good and again did some drills, strides and stretching afterwards to activate my fast twitch fibres.

I made some dinner of sausages, asparagus and mashed sweet potatoes and then we got ready to go to the East Fife Sports Council awards ceremony. My mum won the Master’s award and Fife AC seem to clear up most of the other awards so that was great. We headed back to the house and it was getting late so I headed straight to bed.



1 comment:

  1. As you haven't mentioned anything about your travels plans as yet may l just wish you all the very best for Sunday.l really do hope all goes according to plan and may all the hard work you have put in pay dividends.

    Cheers

    John the Jogger ( failed 5000m runner )

    ReplyDelete