Friday, March 19, 2010

3/18/10

Thursday’s Training – Am: 84 mins easy Pm: 39 mins easy

Mileage – 18 miles

I was taking today very easy to see if I could start feeling a little fresher than I have in the last few days. The morning run was a slow plod around the town and it was just a time to switch off. It went by fairly quickly and the weather was lovely so that made it enjoyable. I spent the most of the day doing an online driving school (4 hours straight) only to find out that I couldn’t take the test at the end because the school didn’t get my citation (I got a speeding ticket a month ago and taking the class will get it off your record). This was really annoying as all the information was fresh in my head and I just wanted to get it out of the way. After trying a few methods of trying to get the citation to them I realized that I was running a little late so had to quickly put my shoes on get a short 6 miles in. I felt pretty good for this run but it was pretty windy so I’m hoping its not going to be getting any worse up here (the wind gets really strong in the spring). I finished the run and had no time to do drills or stretches as I had to get to work in 25 mins so I showered changed and drove straight there. It turns out there was no rush as the restaurant was empty but this gave me a little time to work on my toe stretches to try and break up the scar tissue underneath it. It actually turned out to be a good night at work although it meant getting home at 10.45pm.

Work and Training

I have always worked and run ever since I was 16. I have never found it too hard as I am dedicated enough and good enough at time management that I can always fit in both. For me, work is mentally stimulating and it helps me to forget about running for a little while. I have always worked in restaurants and coffee shops as they tend to be the most flexible with working hours and taking time off. I have been fortunate enough to have had great employers who have understood my situation and always given me the leeway to get away at weekends for races and trips abroad. I currently work 2 or 3 shifts a week at a local sushi restaurant on Route 66 (Karma Sushi) and its always evening shifts so that means that I can get my training done during the day and get some rest also. It can be a little tight sometimes as I have to fit in both runs before 3.30pm but my body is used to it now. I didn’t have this luxury before as I had to work a lot more before I got my contract with Mizuno and had to work 30 to 40 hours a week and found it tough to get enough recovery. I think the hardest I’ve had it was during the summer months of 2005-2007 when I worked at the Old Course Hotel in St Andrews and my shift started at 6am. I had to wake up at 4am and get my first run done before work and then I would get a little rest in the afternoon before I did my 2nd workout and then get to bed by 8pm. This may sound a bit rough but it just meant shifting my day forward a few hours and I was really just running and working so it was a good situation for me. Right now I feel a bit lazy when I am just staying at home and resting because I could be working but I know I need to do this to let my running career progress the way I want it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment