Tuesday, March 16, 2010

3/15/10

Monday's Training - Am: 90 mins Pm: 60 mins + Weights
Mileage - 24 miles

Fairly easy day today. I went over to Trina's loop where I thought everyone was meeting to run but only Middleton and I turned up (he was doing a fartlek as he runs the LA marathon on Sunday) so I warmed up with him and then headed of round the roads for the rest of my run. I actually did a little fartlek also just to get my legs going a bit. My legs were still a bit tender but my achilles felt ok after I spent 30 mins massaging my lower leg and loosening it off. I got back home and spent another 30 mins stretching, foam rolling and massaging it. After this I strapped an ice pack onto it and prepared my usual breakfast/lunch of granola with dried cranberries, prunes, almonds and strawberries. This is my usual morning routine and has been for a while - run, stretch, breakfast and then nap in front of the TV. This is the reason I gave up working the day shifts at work so that I could have all the time I need to do the little things that are involved in running.

After waking up and cleaning the apartment up a bit (I hadn't unpacked from the weekend yet) I started to get ready for my second run a 3pm. Another bout of massaging and a hot pack on my achilles helped loosen me up a bit as well as some toe mobilization. I drove over to the gym and ran my usual 10 mile loop at a good pace as I was feeling good. It was windy but it really didn't bother me too much. I finished off with some drills and stretching and headed into the gym to do some weights.

Once I was finished I headed over to the Summit Center and Julie treated me again with some Ionto and then headed home as she was making some Apricot Chicken fro dinner. It was served with broccoli and rice and was just what I needed.

Weights

My weights and circuits routine isn’t anything special. Greg likes to keep this section of our training quite easy so as not to risk any injury but still get the benefit of strengthening. Since the new year, I have been a member of the Summit Health and Fitness Center so have been able to dedicate more time to this area of training. I typically head to the gym on Tuesday mornings and Thursday evenings (we do our hard workouts on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday) so it doesn’t take away from the running workouts of the week. I have actually gone back to doing more of a routine that I did when I was at Florida State University as I always felt strong when following the routine we did there.


I first head upstairs and do 20 mins of core and upper body and its continuous so it can get pretty tough as you really don’t get a break in this period. After this I head downstairs and start on my full body routine. I tend to do 3 sets of each exercise set (there is 3 different exercises per set) and there are 4 exercise sets (so in total there is 36 sets of reps). I don’t lift anything heavy but do include squats, dead lifts and lots of body weight stuff. I also change the workout depending on the day. For example, the Tuesday workout (in between hard running session days) will be a bit easier than the Thursday workout as I don’t want to be tired for the workout the next day.

Here is an example of what I do:

3 sets of

Bar Warm Up

20 Step Ups

25 Seated Crunches

3 sets of

10 Squats

50 Hanging Abs

10 Back Extentions

3 sets of

10 Box Jumps

10 Bench Press

10 Dead Lifts

3 sets of

10 Lunge Jumps

10 Wall Angels

20 Calf Raises

No comments:

Post a Comment