Tuesday, May 18, 2010

5/18/10

The last few days have been great. I seem to always have energy when i'm turning up to training because my mileage is lower than normal. I still have another couple of lower mileage weeks (until Bolder Boulder - My next race) and then I think we will ramp it up a bit.

Saturday's long run was good. AC, Jordan and I met all the girls and Greg at Greg's house and then ran up Rd222. Its uphill for the first 4 miles and then it flattens out. It climbs again as you go by 7.5 miles and you can continue for as long as you want on this road but we were just running 16 miles this morning so turned around at 8 miles. Jordan had already turned around so AC and I gradually picked up the pace as the miles went along at it felt great. We ran the first 8 miles in 52 mins and then the last 8 miles in 45.30. After some drills and stretching, I headed back to the house where Julie and I made a great pancake breakfast and then headed out to the east side of town to feed the ducks out there. Unfortunately I had to go to work at night so I got a quick nap in before heading to Karma.

We were planning on going down to Sedona and the creek on sunday but we ended up getting up late and then other things were getting in the way so we decided to stay in town. We tried to head to one of the hotel pool's but then found it was under construction. This somehow led us to looking for furniture at a new store that has just opened up and there were some great prices so we decided on a really comfortable sofa for our space in the living room. We actually spent a long time in the house marking out all the possibilities for where to put sofa's, love seat's and recliner's. We originally wanted to get a sofa and love seat but we think it will just be a sofa now.

I drove down to Sedona at 7am on Monday so I could get back to Flagstaff early (the rest of the group were leaving 30 mins later). I did a session of 12*200m with 200m recovery and it went really well. I was surprised with how easy I felt (probably because I was only doing 12) and gradually got quicker as the session went on. I started at 30.5 and finished in 27.0. My Mizuno Flagship shoes felt really great on the track and super light. You would think that with how light the shoes are there would be a sacrifice in cushioning or support but there isn't at all. It looks like these will be my perfect road racing shoes (half marathon and below). After doing a bunch of stretching, I headed up the road and stopped by the creek to soak my legs in the cold water before heading back to town. I had a great nap and then felt really good on my second run so that was good. There was no tightness or soreness in my legs so I am looking forward to tackling some good track session soon.

Tomorrow I have a 6 mile steady state run at Buffalo Park so it will be a good test to see how I feel running steady to fast.

The house is really coming along. It has all the dry wall in place so we can really get a feel for the size of the house now. We are about 30 days out from the house being completed so its getting exciting.

3 comments:

  1. Andrew, I daresay you've explained this at some point in the past - sorry! Sedona is at 4,300 ft and I presume you're going down there to take advantage of the lower elevation. But what determines which sessions you guys do down there?

    Really enjoy your blog - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really depends on the weather and if we are wanting to run fast. Unfortunately the tracks in Flagstaff are only available from 7am to 8am and then after 5.30pm so it just makes it easier to go down to Sedona and not worry about finishing in time. It also feels a lot easier than doing workouts at 7,000ft so if we are doing some real race pace or speed work, it benefits us more to go down and hit the paces we want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Understood. Thanks, Andrew. I'm going to be passing through Prescott, Sedona, Flagstaff during late June; that probably explains my interest in the detail. Can't wait to see the region through a runner's eyes! Stay healthy and I look forward to following your further progress.

    ReplyDelete