Thursday, October 7, 2010

Yesterday was supposed to be a big workout day with a 12 mile steady state run in the morning but Greg cancelled it last minute due to weather conditions (impending tornadoes). I was a little frustrated by this as I was feeling great and really wanted to get the long workout in as delaying a day meant that it was a day closer to the world half marathon champs. I spent most of the morning filling out more visa forms and sending my passport off to Washington DC so I can get into China. I then headed out for an 80 minute run on my own around the country club area of town. The weather was pretty good and the wind was behind me on the way back so I got a really good run in...until about 60 minutes in. It started to rain pretty heavily and then the hail started. It started off light and then started coming down really heavily. I was getting torn to pieces so I found a tiny tree to hide under until it died down. 30 seconds later it laid off a bit so I started running down the road again only to be hit by a second wave of bullets. I stood flat against a wall and was well protected from the hail until it stopped again. I was only 2 miles from home so I ran pretty quickly back to the house to try escape anymore onslaughts of weather. It felt so good to get back and have a nice hot shower and some breakfast. I fell asleep in front of the TV and got a good hour nap in.

Once I woke up I got a bunch of work done and then headed out to A1 to meet Jason for his long run. I had him do a 21 mile run on the A1 loop and I was going to join him for the middle 7 mile loop. He got up to 7 miles without much incidence and then I parked the car and joined him. About 1 mile in we hit a section of the road that was blocked by a fallen tree. We didn't think much about it and continue on the road ahead. We then witnessed what the mornings tornadoes had done to the forest. You could see the path of the tornado where all the trees were knocked over and covering the road for quite a section. I had never witnessed anything like this before so it was pretty cool to see the power of mother nature. After we got through that section the rest of the run was fine. I finished the section of the run with Jason and quickly got into some dry clothes and followed him in the car as the light was starting to fade. Within a few minutes it was pitch black and Jason was running by the light of my car. He had a good run and had come back well from a hill workout he did on Monday. I rushed home as I was really hungry and arrived at the same time as Julie. We made a really tasty dinner of crusted stuffed pork chops with garlic greens beans and mashed golden yams. It really hit the spot so we relaxed in front of the TV watching Ocean's 13.

1 comment:

  1. It's a shame you didn't have a camera to take a photo of the tornado hit forest.

    ReplyDelete