Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I managed to sneak in my second run of the day and last one in Louisville before we headed back to Flagstaff on Sunday evening. I ran the same amount of time as I did in the morning but ran a mile further so that was comforting. I actually got back right as we were planning on leaving so I quickly showered, packed the car and said our good byes. We'll see the newly married couple in a few weeks for our wedding so there were no tears between the girls. I drove off down the road realising I had no idea where I was going but we managed to find the airport and return the car safely. The flights back were eventless so they went by pretty quickly. We grabbed some sandwiches from Paradise bakery in the Phoenix airport so we didn't have to wait until we had driven the 2 hours up the road to Flagstaff for food. Julie's parents brought the car to the airport for us so we could leave directly from there and cut a little bit of time off the journey. Julie started the drive so I could eat my food and then we swapped after 30 mins so she could take a nap and eat her food. Once we arrived back at the house we managed to make it into bed and fall asleep within 15 minutes of pulling into the garage because we were so tired. Carlson agreed to push the journey down to Sedona for the morning workout back to 8am so I could get a little more sleep.

I woke up still feeling a little tired but managed to meet Carlson on time and we headed down to Sedona together. Right before we got out of the car I was feeling really sleepy and tired and didn't know if I would make it through the workout. We warmed up and that didn't help matters. I did my drills as best I could and just hoped for the best during the workout. The session was 24*200m with 200m jog, which is one of my favourite workouts, so I knew how to run it and how to get through it successfully. The first 2 reps were just used to getting into the workout and our legs ready and they were run in 32 and 31. The rest of the reps were run in an average of 30 seconds with reps 12 and 24 in 27 seconds to get our legs going a bit. There is something about doing marathon training that really helps me get through every run and workout. I am focused most of the time but during my London build up and since I started training for Fukuoka last week, its like a switch is flicked and I don't let anything get in the way of doing my best every day. We both came out of the workout pleased and headed off on our warm down as usual. We stopped at 9 minutes to have a pit stop and I heard from behind me, Ow! There was a little sprinkling of hail that suddenly turned into a down pour of golf balls on us. We struggled to get back but we managed to keep going because we were laughing so hard at each other. We were constantly squealing like little girls and shouting obscenities as if it was going to make a difference. At about 800m back to the car it all suddenly stopped and the sun came out. Our shoes were destroyed with the mud and we were soaked through to the bone. Luckily we had some dry clothes in the car and we didn't have to walk through Safeway creating a trail of water behind us as we grabbed some food for breakfast.

We got back to Flagstaff just after 12pm and I dumped my stuff on the floor and lay on the bed as I was feeling pretty tired. Next thing I knew it was 3pm! It felt great to have slept so much but now I was in a time crunch as I wanted to run before I met Jason who I coach but I just figured I would wait and do a run afterwards. I made a big cup of Yorkshire tea and felt a lot more awake after that. I headed over to Buffalo Park where Jason was doing hill reps and luckily I brought my rain jacket. It started to sprinkle a little before it turned into a down pour with lightening going off every few seconds. We cut the session short to be safe and I went and picked Julie up from work. I took her back to the house and went over to the gym to get my run on the treadmill as there was no way I was risking my life by running outside! I got 8 miles done and headed back home to a nice dinner of pecan crusted tilapia with potatoes and asparagus that Julie had made for us. We relaxed for a few hours before we headed to bed at 9.30pm. Julie has been feeling a little ill so it was a good idea to get to bed early and have a long nights sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment