Monday, November 8, 2010

Friday - This was an easy day of 2 runs and 17 miles. I can't actually remember what I did that day apart from running with Brett in the morning!

Saturday - Big workout day. I had an 18 mile Tempo run scheduled for the morning but unfortunately Greg wouldn't be there to guide us through the workout and hand us drinks so Julie came out in the car did the job. I met Fasil and Jason at 7.15am and warmed to be ready just after 8am. Fasil was running 15 miles so I started back down Lake Mary Rd for 1.5 miles and back and he would start when I was coming back to the start. I started out well with a 5.12 and 5.13 but then dropped a bomb on the uphill mile of 5.24. That really woke me and I made sure that that wouldn't happen for the rest of the workout. I wanted to keep a steady pace of between 5.10 and 5.13 for the whole workout and I managed that pretty well. I think Fasil was getting a little nervous as he was looking at his watch every 200m and surging if it didn't read the numbers that he wanted to see. This workout was all about how you feel and not by what the watch was reading so I eventually told him just to forget about it and run how his body was telling him to. We both had a great workout. The last 3 to 4 miles we were told to run hard and we managed that with Fasil surging away and looking really strong. I struggled a little on the last 2 miles as we ran into the wind but I got the head down and finished well enough. I finished the run in 1.33.30 for a 5.11.6 average which was 3 seconds a mile quicker than before London. I'm taking a lot of confidence from this workout as that equates to around 4.56 miling at sea level.

I felt pretty good for the rest of the day except that I wasn't able to nap as my body was still wired from the workout. I got in another run later on to shake my legs out a bit and they actually felt really good. Later that night, Ron and Ann Morrison (my coach from Scotland and his wife) arrived to stay with us and we ordered some Thai food and caught up on all the news.

Sunday - A nice easy day today to recover from the day before and my body felt great! No tightness from the day before and the hills were no problem on either of my runs. I took Ronnie on a tour of the trails in the morning (he was on the bike while I ran) and then we headed up to Snowbowl afterwards so that Ann and him could see the scenery from high up on the mountain. We headed out to Karma sushi that night for a feast and then we all passed out pretty early.

2 comments:

  1. Wow that looked like a killer session. Good to see that you were stronger than before London.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you think about Ryan Halls plan to ask God for a training program? http://ryanhall.competitor.com/2010/11/08/running-and-faith/

    ReplyDelete