Sunday, December 5, 2010

Post Fukuoka

I am really disappointed right now so I will write a more in depth account of the race once I get back to the states and I can reflect on things a bit better. I dropped out somewhere between 33 and 34km today after running with a stitch from 29km. It was getting worse as I ran on and kept pulling hard on my urinary tract which was very sore. I don't know what happened. I was having one of the best days of running with everything feeling very comfortable. We went through half way in 64.28 and then slowed up over the next 10km as we ran into the wind towards the turn around point. This was great as I was getting ready for the 10km to go point to really make a push for home. THe stitch came as I hit one of the hills and I just couldn't shake it. I actually couldn't concentrate on anything else and the 2 guys I was running with broke away a little right before the turn around as I struggled to get rid of the stitch. The guy I was running with came in 3rd with a very strong last 10km. Every seemed to drop off the initial pace today as the temperatures rose.

I sat in a bus for an hour after the race beating myself up about having to drop out. I am finding it very tough but I spoke to Julie and she made me feel a little better as did Jurrie. I can't wait to start training for London now.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that things didn't go to plan in Fukuoka, Andrew. But I am sure it is better to do what you decided to do and regroup before London than push on and risk some sort of nasty injury. I hope you recover soon and come back stronger than ever in London.

    Simon
    @theredsquirrel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thata a bummer!
    good luck with London, I think this will drive you on to achieve some thing special at VLM

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete